Home » Professionals » Working Together » Making a Referral

Making a Referral

Making a Child Protection referral to Children’s Social Care

Whether you work in the statutory, private, voluntary or independent sector in West Sussex and provide services for, or come into contact with, children and young people, you have an important role to play in keeping them safe. This includes volunteers who provide support and services to children.

If you are a professional worker with information or concerns about a child you should inform West Sussex County Council’s MASH during office hours on the numbers below.

Telephone: 01403 229900

Or email: MASH@westsussex.gcsx.gov.uk

Or complete the Referral Form: request-for-support-form

The out of office hours (5pm – 8am weekdays) and 24-hour emergency number on weekends and bank holidays is 0330 222 6664, or email MASH@westsussex.gcsx.gov.uk ensuring that you put in the subject box: ALERT FOR EDT

When you contact the MASH they will take full details of the child and your concerns and will either:

  • Provide advice and information, or
  • Direct you to an appropriate team or organisation, or
  • Make a formal referral to the social care team

You should confirm your referral in writing within 24 hours.

If you have doubts about making a referral, please consult your agency manager or practitioner with responsibility for child protection. If this is not possible, please speak with MASH for further advice.

Good practice examples of referrals to MASH

To help professionals in completing quality referrals we have produced  good practice examples

Early Help support for a child

If you need support with an Early Help Plan, or want to link a family in to Early Help, contact your Family Support Hub

Referring an Adult

If you are worried that an adult is being harmed, abused or neglected, find out how to raise your concern by visiting the West Sussex Safeguarding Adults Board site here.

Referring child to Brighton & Hove or East Sussex

Information on how to refer in other Sussex areas can be found on the front page of the Pan Sussex Child Protection Procedures site.